Saturday, January 18, 2014

Great Expectations


You know the saying…”If you don’t expect anything, you won’t be disappointed.”

I get it. I’ve been there.

You work hard, but the promotion goes to someone else. You pour yourself into a relationship, but you’re treated like crap. 
((Insert personal disappointments here)) 
You post all the inspirational quotes, you anticipate good things, and instead are left with disappointment, a heart that’s a little bit harder, and skin that’s a little bit thicker. And then you do it again. And you’re tired of trying. 
Disappointment is draining. It hurts. 

So, you start to expect less out of life, and you get it.

But what if instead, you dusted yourself off {again}, and not only kept going, but kept expecting that good things were on their way--just around the corner even? What if you believed that those things you dream were still possible, that there existed a person who would make you feel loved and valued like you never had before, that life had joy to offer in the midst of all the pain and chaos, and that there were still things worth waiting for?
Think about that.

Iv'e spent a lot of my adult life -all eleven years of it- being cynical and negative (it's not pretty folks). When I let that girl go, everything changed. Now, instead of being broken and discouraged by the inevitable disappointments life will bring, I learn who I am in the middle of it. Dare I say, because of it. 

The bad stuff makes the good taste even better. 
The hard stuff makes you brave.


We might be disappointed {again}, we might get hurt {again}, we might have to start over {again}…or we might not. 
What a scary, exciting, unpredictable, wonderful adventure this is! Let’s guard our hearts and our minds, yes, but let’s never stop taking risks, or stop believing for the best. 


Let’s expect great things, and I think we just might find them!




2 comments:

  1. The hard stuff makes you so brave! Picking yourself up eventually happens without even trying. Tenacity becomes our way of life! Even in the slumps we are learning, and when we're flying high we have so much to share. I love you Cyndi! Your spirit enriches me, and our friendship has transcended beyond us, it has allowed me to share my best with others. Thank you for that and thank you for allowing me to glean goodness from you. I love you Cyndi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you sweet friend. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete